Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Parable from Kevin

(I promise I'll post the warm up stuff on Sunday.)

We're in the middle of Director Training for the Fall Fest, and Kevin told the following story, which I thought some of you might find interesting:

The four "Super Friends" were walking along together one day when they learned that in the next garden was a songbird with the most beautiful voice in the world. They rushed to the garden, but the bird would not sing.

"Sing, or I'll kill you," said Mohamed
The bird would not sing.
"I can teach you how to sing," said Jesus.
The bird would not sing.
"I'll wait until you choose to sing," said Buddha.
The bird would not sing.
"I'll sing, so that you will sing," said Krishna.

After discussing how all four of these tactics are part of the successful director/teacher tool kits, we went around the room to name which was closest to our default mode, and which was one we found it hardest to use. (And of course the Mohamed example is not so much the default of threatening violence to your students, but rather the high-authority, high expectations voice that does not allow students to refuse to try.)

Of course, this was followed by a rather hilarious discussion which included statements like "I tend to be Jesus..."

3 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Confucius can get the bird to sing, but an hour later he wants to hear it sing again.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Zeus gets the bird to sing by seducing and impregnating the bird.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Moses guilts the bird into singing.

I've got pages of this stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home