Friday, October 13, 2006

Nonverbal Check-in

I realize I have neglected to post in the last few weeks. I have been wonderfully busy with my new job. I am working with 3rd,4th, and 5th grade. Over 90% of my students are Hmong, many have only been in the US for a few months. I still wanted to use check-in, so I have students use facial expressions and gestures to act out how they are feeling. It is amazing how much can be expressed without words. Check-in has even become a great way to learn new words because as students are acting out their feelings, my few native speakers will name the feeling " tired," "nervous" etc. This week I have noticed that more and more of my Hmong students are starting to connect words to their actions and feelings. It's a start!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home