Friday, October 06, 2006

Scenes for kids

I've been teaching my night classes for three weeks. We've been doing exercises and games, but I think they're ready to move on to scene work. However, I'm having a tough time finding scenes for my students.

The A class has five girls, and the B class has three girls. The A class is more talented, somehow, and I think I'm going to give them Pyramus and Thisbe next week. But I'm stuck on the B class. Do you know of any Shakespeare scenes of a decent length that could reasonably be performed by three girls? Or should I find three duets and have each girl be in two of them?

What about modern scenes to give my students? I looked through some of those "scenes for young actors" books, and they're just awful. It's all The Children's Hour and Peter Pan and other plays with stilted 19th century-type dialogue.

2 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Keep looking for good scene books. They DO exist, I promise.

What about a Nurse/Juliet scene?

There are also some very good scenes in comedies where it doesn't matter if the actor is male or female. Of course, I can't tell you what they are off the top of my head, but you'll find them. I have faith in you.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Ariana said...

I love the play Cagebirds by David Campton. I have seen two youth productions, both with all-female casts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home