Friday, September 29, 2006

Dancing





So, I decided to do some "Dibbling" with my students last week. We did the dance that goes with the song from Chocolat . It was a lot of fun and went surprisingly well. I got 26 teenagers to not only dance, but dance while *gasp* holding hands!

Because the dance we learned only took up the first half of the song, we did it twice through. They did it once with their original partners, then there is about 4 counts of 8 until the melody repeats. I had them do a bow, exchange partners, and bow to their new partner before starting the dance over.

I have the counts and choreography for the change written out if you want it, and I have a video of the students do the whole dance if you are interested.

Anyhoo, here are some pictures of my students dancing. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Fun! I'm so jealous! I wish I had

a. a gym
b. a class that I could justify this in

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

The health/pe teachers teach health on Tuesday/Thursdays and I've lost the use of the auditorium during drama class 4th block (the choir teacher is doing Chicago with her classes).

So, since the gym's free two days a week, I've taken it over . . . if you don't ask they can't say know.
-mel

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

I really meant that can't say "no"

(The English teacher really can spell.)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

Mel,

I really want the counts and coreography, even the video if you could. I'm struggling with motivating some of my English classes to step outside the box and try something new without having too many behavioral issues. Any suggestions?

-R

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

I'll send you the video and choreography :)

Behavior wise, I start really small; doing some of the word play games (like the ball game and so forth), and I we only spend a short time on it. So we may spend 10 or 15 doing an activity, then use it as a lead in to a more traditional lesson. Or I use it as a wrap up activity. Either way, they've spent most of the time in a traditional lesson, and short time getting their feet wet with the "weird" stuff (their words).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home