Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Back in the Saddle Again

Since I have left the green world I have moved from the Caribbean to the Midwest (a bit of an adjustment). I also have been unemployed. Being a type-A personality, this was a source of great pain and despair for me. I find it is especially difficult to be unemployed when you are trying to meet new people. Inevitably after, " what's your name?" "where are you from?" and "am you real?" you get asked, "what do you do for a living?" I have managed thus far by using a trick I learned from my artist friends. They are never unemployed. They are always ASPIRING (as in aspiring actor, aspiring rock star etc.). For the last month I have been referring to myself as an aspiring revolutionary. I am happy to say that now I am actually going to have to live up to my words. I have a job! Yay! There's just one catch-it's Elementary School! I have never taught students so young. Anyone have experience with this age group? Anyone have experience with the Core Knowledge curriculum? Help!

4 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger educat said...

What grade are we talking here? There's a big difference between a wide eyed first grader who still wants to please you and a jaded, hormonal sixth grader.

I'll be fascinated to hear you try this bag of tricks with younger kids!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

Wow! I did 8th grade for 3 years and really enjoyed it...not so sure about anything younger though. I didn't know you were elementary certified...are you? Do you have to be? Are you going to have to teach math and science?

-R

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

I've never taught younger kids. I understand from elementary teacher friends of mine that 4th graders are amazing to work with, because they're still curious and filled with wonder. Are they 4th graders, perchance?

No matter what age, they'll all be in love with you.

I miss you, my Sexy Tigress of Oz (Sexy Tigress of Oz is, of course, one of the little-known L. Frank Baum novels that proved to be too racy for publication. The others are: Lewdness in the Poppy Fields of Oz, Tin Man's Secret Desire, and The Last Munchkin in Paris).

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

I've spent the last day trying to think of a funnier smutty Baum title that the ones listed, and I've come up short. This is why I love you guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home