Monday, November 26, 2007

Alright, I've got one

Latino 96.3 (big radio station here in LA) came to my school on Halloween (and has since adopted us and will be hosting fundraisers for us, yay!). Since my classroom is unusual (no desks or chairs), I'm one of the stops on the basic KIPP:LA tour for visitors. The kids were doing a story writing project with scary story elements, and the guy (Calla 13) came in, with cameras and entourage, walked about five feet into the room, turned a full circle, made a comment to someone, and left. Of course, the kids all got silent when they walked in, some tried to continue working, others just stared. I did my best to look like a "good teacher"... whatever that means.

After the camera crew, etc. left, one of my boys looked at me and said, straight-faced,

"That was awkward."

I agreed with him.

I don't know how well this story translates in print, but it was hilarious in person.

Also, as I type this, my cat is on my lap, industriously sucking on my tshirt.

6 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Walker said...

Ah, once again I laugh at my desk as my students look at me strangely (less strangely then usual since this is my drama class).

Your cat sucks on your t-shirt? That particular t-shirt, or t-shirts in general?

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Emily said...

All tshirts. He has abandonment issues, I think, and a few times a day will climb purring into my lap seeking reassurance, cuddling and, though it hasn't come out of my shirt yet, milk.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Right now he's on my lap, not sucking on the shirt, but with his head down making the sucking motions with his mouth. It's very very strange. But he seems happy doing it, so I let him.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger educat said...

Does your cat go to school?

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, it is called object sucking (seriously, I asked a behaviorist because my dog does it). It is a comfort mechanism. I was told that my dog does it because she was a street dog for seven months before we bought her.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Emily said...

My cat has been to school with me, yes. He's not a very good student, though (he has a hard time focusing during lectures), so I usually leave him at home. I got another cat as a playmate for him... she does NOT suck my shirt, but she does lick my eyelashes and bite my head in the morning.

Ariana, I have known other cats that suck on things (no dogs, though). It has something to do with being weaned too early. I feel awful that my own cat has these issues, but he was abandoned by his mom, so I guess it's not my fault. There's something comforting for me, too, in knowing that he needs me for more than food and a clean litter box.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home