Saturday, November 10, 2007

The 19th Fall Festival of Shakespeare (almost)


(sorry that this picture is a little wonky, but it's the best I could do.)

Greetings, all. This weekend we are running The Winter's Tale at the high school before next week's mega-event wherein all ten high schools involved will perform their shows one after another for four days at Founders' Theater(where we saw Hamlet and Merry Wives). So in this tiny corner of the world right now, Facebook is alive with the sounds of Shakespeare, and my mother's church choir practice was gutted because everyone was out supporting the local high school's Romeo and Juliet. It's amazing to me how much the whole community gets behind Shakespeare in this county.

As with most things, now that it's almost over I finally have an idea how to begin. Since my next contract with S&Co is to do a Middle School production of Macbeth starting the minute Fall Festival is over, I'll have plenty more opportunity to screw things up--I mean learn. Joking aside, I'm loving the work and I'm learning a ton about artisitc collabortation (working with so many other adults and their opinions is challenging my shyness!) as well as how to work with different kinds of kids (this group in WT was very difficult and slow to warm up.) And of course, hearing bits and pieces of Julius Caesar and Macbeth brings back so many fond memories of our NITS summer. Here's hoping you all are well and are having great years with your students!

2 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger Christine McBurney said...

Break a leg, Meg with Winter's Tale (a favorite)! I hope you are having a wonderful time. It sure sounds like it.

I'm about to go into tech for The Importance of Being Earnest.

Loving the small cast size. A once in a lifetime opportunity. Since our aud is being renovated, we had no other choice but to perform off site at the Cleveland Play House, on their tiny and haunted stage, The Brooks Theatre. Students are psyched and so am I.

Looking forward to spring when I can get back to Shakespeare, although Wilde is wild and crazy fun too.

Sending you lots of love,

Christine

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Holbrook said...

"My school is paying to upgrade the performance space, so we must relocate to a legendary regional theatre. My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home