Monday, October 08, 2007

Unscrewed

In an unprecedented bit of luck, it seems the head of fine arts for the district took my side.

My principal came up to me after school on Friday and said, "I talked with the head of fine arts, and we have a compromise. You can do this show for the contest, but you can't have a performance of it here on this campus." Which is totally fine with me, but it seems odd. How is that a compromise, and not a victory for me? The only scenario that makes sense is, the fine arts director told my principal that the show was not problematic (it was even done by other school in this district a while back), the principal didn't want to eat crow and tell me she had been overruled, so she had to craft some type of middle ground so it didn't look like she lost this one.

I've been butting heads with administrators for my whole career, and something finally worked out! I know this is going to be the year I finally get to see what I'm capable of.

3 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Walker said...

Hurrah for you!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Uta said...

Ah, sweet victory!

...except maybe not for your kids, who don't get to perform for their family and friends and community in a non-competitive forum.

Still, I gotta say, it's incredible that theater is so dangerous that the ideas presented in a middle school play are deemed too hot to handle.
Keep fighting the good fight!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Yeah, a performance at our school would have been nice, but it's not the end of the world. I'm trying to look on the bright side (me?!), and I'm hoping to spin it as "the theatre department won awards with their competition play in December, so make sure you see the spring play in March!" I'm not going to make a public "we're not performing here" announcement to the faculty, I'll just brag about the kids' success afterward and try to get them interested in future productions.

So now I get to do Midsummer as a full-length show (well, 60 minutes or so) in March, just like I wanted all along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home