Monday, October 29, 2007

While You Might Not Get Porter Wagoner...

...you might get the larger meaning of this post.

I just got the news of the death of West Plains, MO's favorite son, Porter Wagoner. Giggle if you must, but the news of his passing didn't bring memories of listening to his music with my PaPa or even actually seeing him perform at the Grand Old Opry. It brought memories of buying a card for Michael with Mel and Amanda and trying to explain to them who the man was. That memory then led to memories of playing games in Hubbard and laughing until I hurt and a general feeling of silly grinning that's lasted for a few minutes now.

You all just pop up in the strangest places sometimes.

4 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

I know exactly what you mean. Brian Wilson's "Love and Mercy" popped up on my iPod while I was hiking today. The cover by the Wilson Brothers was far superior.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Walker said...

I justed started Julius Caesar with my students today--it made me smile and a little sad at the same time.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this... I've been in a near-catatonic state over the loss of Porter...

Porter Wagoner was the Grand Marshall of the Christmas Parade a couple of years ago, and although I was originally angry upon reading that the city of West Plains paid him $25,000 for his appearance, I eventually calmed down when I discovered that the fee covered both Porter Wagoner AND Little Jimmy Dickens.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Walker said...

I'm opening myself up for mocking, i'm sure. . .

Who is Little Jimmy Dickens?

(I could google, but I feel all of you will offer a much better (albeit mocking) explanation

-mel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home