Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Because YOU Will Understand

I need to tell some people who get it about my latest administration-frustration:

My administrators recently informed me that they've scheduled the city's symphony to perform at our school, in our auditorium. Cool, right? I like the symphony, and they deserve the exposure.

Except it's the day before my fall play. And they need the whole stage.

Me: Um... my play is that week, though.
Assistant Principal: I know. But it's not till the next day, so I figured the stage would be free.
Me: (trying to keep up the facade of a supportive, pleasing suck-up that I've established for my principal) Well... I guess we could still rehearse after school. But what about the set?
AP: The set? Oh. I didn't think about that. Couldn't you just put it up after the concert? They should be gone by 1:30.
Me: But that's our dress rehearsal. We need that rehearsal, we can't spend all that afternoon putting our set up the day before the show.
AP: Huh. (Long pause) What if you just put a set, like, on the outsides of the stage and left the middle of it empty for the orchestra?


!!

(If any of you have any experience with either video-projected sets or if you know where I can get a set that pops up like a camping tent, let me know.)

4 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Boy, do I understand. My first year teaching I had the same problem. Band had the stage the day before and the day after our fall show. The show was "The Pink Panther Strikes Again," which has about 30 locations, so I needed to build a revolve.

I went back to my student teacher and worked with a couple of awesome tech kids she had, and we designed a revolve that could come apart in pie pieces and stacked against the back wall. Set-up took about ten minutes. It worked, but it would be been A LOT better if we had gotten to build a real revolve.

And I think I'm going to have the same problem this year. The orchestra and band rooms aren't that big at my new school, and when they break off into sectionals they always use the stage. Including during my Advanced class. Okay, so I'll rehearse my competition play in my room during the day, and on the stage in the afternoon. Nope, band has sectionals then. I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

I do too!!!! Today my adminstrator came in while we were air broadsword fighting and started telling my kids to quiet down and that they were too loud...GRRRRR!!!!

Rachael

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Uta said...

I've made great sets out of helium balloons (our school had a helium tank, and I had a key to the closet it was hidden in- I used the giant helium baloons from novelty companies) I attached multiple strings and tied a 2x4 block to the end of the strings- arranged 'em like a tripod for stability. But that only works if your play needs colorful whimsy. I used to often use hollow core closet door inserts (the kind with a hinge in the middle.) they are free standing, you can paint each side with a different scene, and repaint 'em many times for future shows. I had like 10 by the end. But you know my email girlfriend, so talk to me and I'll give you what ideas I can. I once had to set up for a production of Midsummer in less than one day thanks to a band concert. (I made pannels of window screen, and piped decorations on them with caulk.) I've got lots of tricks I can share, whether they are useful to you is your call.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

You know, I really do get that theatre has to share the auditorium with music. I honestly do. What I don't get is why it's not a true share, but a "band, orchestra, choir, and whoever we rented the space to get first dibs, then comes theatre" thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home