Thursday, August 10, 2006

She Left For The Coast And Came Back All Funny

Today was the first day of meetings at school. I really do work in a supportive environment, but I am pretty sure they wonder about me...
  • When they ask "How are you?", I wrinkle my forehead and think about it a moment before I answer.
  • I was seen in meetings attempting to relax my jaw (all the more hilarious given that the "shake your jaw" command never worked for me as well as the mythical spaghetti sauce jar).
  • Perhaps most puzzling was my answer when my Special Ed co teacher asked how I wanted to spend room money. Sometime, I will have to go back and explain the far away look in my eyes as I tilted my head to the side and wistfully declared, "Well, for starters, I have to get my hands on a drum..."

5 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger Holbrook said...

I found a bell in my classroom. One of those desktop silver things, like Mel hit with his spatula on "Alice." It's just not as cool as a drum.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger educat said...

You know that if you bang the bell with your spatula while you call a child "Dingy!!", it is a shaming that could lead to violence.

Kim, Alice was a television show in the late '70s and early '80s (Pre-Friends). It was set in Phoenix in a diner and Mel, the cantankerous owner with a heart of gold, was often known to bang on a bell with a spatula and yell at a particular waitress that he referred to as "dingy". Thank me later for the pop culture lesson.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Also for Kim, "spatulas" were ancient devices used to turn food over as it cooked. This was, of course, years before the fancy food replicators of your generation.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger educat said...

Oh, and Kim, before we started taking food capsules for nourishment, long before we all converted to the metric system, we took our nourishment in big hunks and would chew them with our teeth. We called it food.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger kv said...

hahaha i read the first comment from craig and was thinking "mel? alice? huh?"

thanks for the pop culture lesson, momma jen :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home