Monday, May 21, 2007

Happy Ending

We're wrapping up the year reading "Midsummer Night's Dream" and I couldn't have picked a better way to finish the year. The kids love a comedy and we're building on their prior knowledge of "Romeo and Juliet" as we discuss "Pyramus and Thisbe".

Today we did the play within the play and really had so much fun it was hardly like school (much less the last week!) but I'm afraid there might be a bit of a stir around the school as a result of this play. As my third hour played through the text today, we had a great wall--I was so proud of the way he spontaneously made the chink for the lovers to speak through--however, he got a bit chatty and was distracting Pyramus, Thisby, and the rest of us. Pyramus, totally frustrated with the situation, gave birth to what might become a catch phrase for the ages.

"Man, Jerome, you talk too much! You need to shut your chink!"

We did have a brief visit about how even though that joke is hilarious among Shakespeare scholars like us, we need to be aware that it might not be the best joke to share with people who wouldn't understand it.

I think they understood, but I can't help but wonder if I will have to call on you all as character witnesses.

Such a happy ending for this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home