Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Full disclosure

Do I have a high-pitched voice? I've been rehearsing Twelfth Night and Macbeth for a couple of weeks now, and every note the director gives me is about the pitch of my voice. She says she doesn't mind the high, squeaky voice (?!) for Sir Andrew, but I need to get it lower for Lennox.

I keep trying it lower and lower, but she says it not enough. It already feels like I'm doing a bad impression. I say, "Thanks to your majesty," but it sounds like, "Look Simba, everything the light touches is our kingdom." I say, "What is your grace's will?" but it sounds like, "Who's the cat who won't cut out when there's danger all about?" I'm trying to be a thane, but I'm sounding like a wacky morning zoo DJ.

It's no big deal, I can take criticism just fine, I'm just flabbergasted that no one has every said this to me in my life. Quite the opposite, actually. So seriously, be honest, is my director on crack or do I sound like Mickey Mouse?

1 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger educat said...

No, your voice isn't high. It's not exactly deep but I'd never get you on the phone and call you ma'am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home