Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sick Day Thoughts and Shameless Self-Promotion

I took a sick day today. I wasn't SICK sick... I was actually just worn down physically. Most of my time outside of school these days has been spent working on audio theater scripts and a new stage play for Halloween. For the past week I've literally been working around the clock, so I took a day off to rest and recuperate.

I realized this morning when I woke from Second Sleep at 11 a.m. that I hadn't given the substitute any notes explaining the process of check-in. I'm really curious to find out if the students convinced the substitute to make check-in a part of the day's activities.

Now, on to the promised shameless self-promotion:

On the weekend before Halloween, there will be several opportunities to experience theater written by Michael Wilson. Maine Public Radio will broadcast Horrorscope, a two-hour audio theater production that will include selections by Edgar Allan Poe, Ray Bradbury and yours truly... the college radio station at Fresno State (out in Califor-nee) will be doing a live on-air production of Draculer!, my comedy/horror piece, that same weekend... and in the little town of West Plains, Missouri, a new original stage play entitled Witch's Ransom will be performed at the Yellow House Community Arts Center. Although Witch's Ransom cannot approach the language and power of anything written by our Beloved Bard, it does have moments that have been influenced by some of his tragedies. Craig, I know it ain't Shakespeare, but you're welcome to "sleep on my couch and eat all my food" that weekend. I extend that same invitation to the rest of you as well!

And for those who would like to listen to the broadcast on Maine Public Radio, here's a link to their web site: MAINE PUBLIC RADIO. I'll update you with exact broadcast times when I know them.

Michael

8 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Sandi said...

Michael, You Rock! This is incredible! You told me about Witches Ransom but I had no idea that it was YOUR creation! Amazing work, sir. Congratulations.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Very cool! Poe, Bradbury, and you. That's some good company to be in.

I'll try my best to figure out a way to make it, but if I can't, you can just mail me all your food.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger educat said...

Very cool. Here's also hoping you got some needed rest and that check in was brilliant in your absence.

But if it's not, blog it for the sake of comedy.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

Does your brilliance know no bounds?

Not to sound uninformed, but what is Main Public Radio and would I be able to listen to your masterpiece here?
-mel

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

Mel --

You are not uninformed... you are the victim of a TYPO. I have now corrected the original posting, but it should have been MAINE Public Radio, not MAIN Public Radio.

And yes, you can listen to it on the Internet. The original post now includes a link to Maine Public Radio's web site, which has streaming audio of their broadcasts.

Michael

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Emily said...

How many of us will fit on your couch?

I'll do my best to listen in when I can. I would love love love to hear your work, my brilliant brilliant brilliant partner!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

Sshoot Michael! I've already got a ticket to Dallas that weekend!...:(
-R

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

I miss you so much, Still Flower.

One of my favorite moments at the Institute was when you and I were sitting at a little table in the Student Center at Smith, working on our lesson plan presentation, and Craig came along and said we looked like we should be sharing a malt. Such a nice memory...

And as for you, my lovely Calpurnia, if ever you do come to visit, perhaps we can replay our Julius Caesar scene... but this time, of course, you'll convince Caesar to stay home, completely altering history as we know it (and my life as I know it).

And as for the size of my couch... in physical reality, it's an ordinary-sized couch... in my heart's reality, however, it's bigger than any piece of furniture Paul Bunyan ever had to build, bigger than the Big Orange Couch from Nick-At-Nite in the early 90s, bigger than any couch Gallager ever put on stage...

To misquote our friend Will, My Couch "is boundless as the sea."

You are all always welcome.

Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home