Saturday, September 16, 2006

National Novel Writing Month

I know that many of you write for fun, so I wanted to let you know about National Novel Writing Month. Each November, tens of thousands of writers from all over the world attempt a semmingly impossible feat: writing a 50,000-word novel in a single month. The Web site offers a forum that helps with research, as well as a cheering section for all participants.

I've participated in NaNoWriMo for the last three years, and I've "won" three years in a row. I've got three novels sitting in a drawer in various stages of rewrite, and this November I'll add a fourth. It's a lot of fun, and it's an incredible sense of accomplishment.

You might think you have no time to write that much, but you'd be surprised. My first year, I closed on my house on October 29. I spend the next month painting every room, watering the lawn daily, packing up my apartment, and moving into a new place, and I somehow still found time to crank out 50,000 words. If you put your mind to it, you can absolutely get this done.

Check out the Web site and read the FAQ. I'd love to have friends doing NaNoWriMo with me this year.

3 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

Craig --

I remember you talking about this at the Institute... I think the conversation was prompted by your NaNoWriMo t-shirt.

This is intriguing... especially after the encouraging story about your ability to do this even though your life is incredibly busy... I think I might give it a go.

By the way, congratulations on your three national wins! I don't think the subject of your winning ever came up in our conversations. You are far more modest than a certain playwright I know from Missouri.

Michael

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

Well, "winning" just means I finished. It doesn't mean the novels are publishable, or even any good yet.

I've tried writing a novel in the summer, but I've never finished. The theory is this: if you have nothing to do, doing one thing seems like a huge task. But if you have millions of things to do, adding one more isn't a big deal. I think it's actually easier for a busy person to finish NaNoWriMo.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

I'm signed up, Craig!

I'm all geared up for NaNoWriMo!

Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home