Wednesday, October 11, 2006

New York, NY

Hello everyone! Sorry that it has been awhile since I have blogged. I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of well wishes and check ins since the news broke of the plane crash in Manhattan this afternoon that I felt like I needed to post. Thank you thank you thank you to all who wrote. I feel so loved.

I am fine and everyone that I know is fine. The crash was about 20 blocks south of my apartment. This is significant to me because I was also 20 blocks north of the WTC on September 11. As tragic as this is for the people on board, I believe that there is a real sense of relief covering all of New York right now.

I found out this was going as school aides came into my classroom to check on the fact that they heard "a plane crashed into a building in Manhattan." They whispered it because protocol is don't panic the kids, but of course the kids were on the laptops for my class and of course they were supposed be typing their essays, but were online and saw the headlines.

By going to the local news feeds it was clear right away that this wasn't a terrorist attack, but an accident, but we all still were pretty shaken up. I think it being the 11th and it being a plane, as I'm sure everyone felt, it was just too familiar.

I don't know if it was psychological or if the smoke really had reached my apartment, but when I got home I could smell it. And it reminded me of the smell of September 11. A burning, ashy smell that I never wanted to smell again. I guess that it really will never go away.

Sharon

3 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Holbrook said...

You were in all our first thoughts. Take care out there, stay safe, and let us know if there's anything you need. We're always here for you.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Shakespeare Teacher said...

You were in my prayers yesterday. I'm glad you and everyone you know is safe. We're all thinking of you.
-mel

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Emily said...

This was the first I heard of the accident. I was on Outdoor Ed with the eigth graders, away from NPR and most news.

I'm so, so glad you're safe. I miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home